Looking for a mini sewing machine? We’ve got you covered.
Millions of us love to sew, but not all of us have the space for a dedicated sewing room or a large sewing machine — so what’s the solution?
Instead of sticking to sewing by hand, investing in a mini sewing machine can give you many of the benefits of a full sized sewing machine in a much smaller package — and they’re super portable too, which makes them great for sewing on the go or taking to sewing class.
We’ve compiled this comprehensive guide to the best mini sewing machine you can buy, as well as everything you should consider and know before you buy.
Here’s a quick peek at our top three mini machine picks:
Let’s get in to the details!
- What Is The Best Mini Sewing Machine?
- SINGER Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- LIANTRAL Mini Sewing Machine
- Michley-Tivax Lil’ Sew & Sew LSS-505
- NEX Portable Mini Sewing Machine
- DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine
- Royalsell Sewing Machine
- What is a Mini Sewing Machine?
- Benefits of Small Sewing Machine vs Normal Sewing Machine
- What to Look for in the Best Small Sewing Machines
What Is The Best Mini Sewing Machine?
Not sure which mini sewing machine to buy?
Here are 6 of the best mini sewing machines, perfect for small projects and easily stored for maximum convenience. After we’ve listed off our favourites, we’ll give you the low down on what exactly to look for in a good mini sewing machine.
SINGER Start 1304 Sewing Machine
Changing between the SINGER Start 1304 Sewing Machine’s 6 basic and decorative stitches is a cinch thanks to the simple dial selector.
A four step buttonhole makes sewing buttonholes hassle free.
The free arm on this mini sewing machine is ideal for small projects and tricky details such as cuffs and sleeves.
An automatic bobbin winder, simple needle threading system, and high lift pressure foot help keep things simple, plus the stitches are preset for length and width, meaning you can get sewing without having to fiddle about.
The Singer Start comes supplied with 3 different pressure feet and a range of needles, and is also capable of twin needle sewing.
Yes, this Singer mini sewing machine is a little more expensive than your average bear, but it’s certainly a worthwhile investment.
- Good features for the price
- Sturdy metal frame construction
- Easy to use
- Quick to set up
- Comes with 25 year limited warranty
- Allows for free arm sewing
- Good range of accessories
- Automatic features save time
- Limited speed control
- Vertical bobbin takes a bit of getting used to
>> Read our full review of the Singer Start 1304
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Start 1304 sewing machine is basic, simple, and easy-to-use thanks to 57 Stitch Applications, all with pre-set stitch width and stitch length. Just select your stitch and start sewing
- : SINGER Start 1304 Start Free Arm Model Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: This lightweight and portable machine weighs only 7 pounds, making it great for sewing in smaller spaces or taking to sewing class
- AUTOMATIC BOBBIN WINDING SEWING MACHINE: To wind a bobbin, simply follow the numbered diagram printed on top of the sewing machine. The bobbin will automatically stop turning when it's completely filled
- SINGER Start 1304 ACCESSORIES: Includes All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Darning Plate, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Spool Pin Felts, Seam Ripper / Lint Brush, Power Line Cord, Foot Control, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual. Amps: 0. 6
LIANTRAL Mini Sewing Machine
Cute and curvy, the LIANTRAL mini sewing machine is small and lightweight, and can be either battery or mains powered.
This mini sewing machine offers a simple 2mm chain stitch to suit a range of tasks, and the stitching speed can be adjusted from low to high.
Another great feature of the Liantral is that it can be operated using either the foot pedal or the start / stop switch, and it also boasts a built in thread cutter and adjustable tension. A great choice for a simple sewing project.
- Very compact
- Super simple to use
- Good for light jobs
- Stop / start button
- Great for travelling
- Extremely affordable
- Ideal for children
- Only one basic stitch
- Not supplied with many accessories
- Plastic construction feels less durable
Michley-Tivax Lil’ Sew & Sew LSS-505
Boasting a range of 8 different built in stitches, the Michley Lil’ Sew & Sew is ideal for use by crafters and sewing enthusiasts. It’s great for small sewing projects.
It packs some excellent features including both forward and reverse sewing, straight stitch, adjustable double thread tension, simple dial stitch selection, convenient drop in bobbin, useful free arm for sewing sleeves or pants, built in thread cutter, and automatic bobbin winder, plus the option to sew without the foot pedal thanks to the High / Off / Low button.
This mini sewing machine is also capable of twin needle sewing (additional needles not supplied), and comes complete with a variety of vibrant threads and mini sewing kit.
- Can run on batteries or mains power
- Can be operated without the foot pedal
- Good for most basic sewing tasks
- Adjustable sewing speed
- Very portable
- Versatile for the price
- Ideal for learners
- No buttonhole stitch
- Some components feel flimsy
>> Read our full review of the Michley LSS-505
- Kit Includes: Sewing Machine, 100-piece Sewing Kit, & Electric Scissors
- 8 Built-in Stitch Patterns
- 2 Speeds for ease of use
- Double Thread;Skill Level:Beginner, Intermediate
- Forward & Reverse Sewing
NEX Portable Mini Sewing Machine
With 12 built in stitches including a 4 step buttonhole, the NEX portable mini sewing machine offers great versatility.
Weighing just under 5 pounds and powered by either battery or mains power, this is a small sewing machine that is ideal for sewing on the move.
Stitch length and width are adjustable, the sewing speed can be altered from high to low depending on your needs, plus the capability for both forward and reverse sewing.
A thread cutter and automatic bobbin winder make for a stress free sewing experience, and a transparent needle guard helps protect fingers from harm.
A stop / start button and a foot pedal gives the choice of how you prefer to operate the machine.
- Good choice for children
- Simple and safe to operate
- Good features for the price
- Compact and light
- Great range of stitches for a basic machine
- Very portable
- Not very durable
- Thread can sometimes jam and break
- 【Portable Sewing Machine】Small Size(7.7 x 4.9 x 7.9 in), Lovely Design, Suit for sewing beginner. Portable sewing machine is lightweight, can be put into your shoulder bag. Powered by 2 ways, power adapter or four AA batteries (Note: the battery and power cord cannot be used at the same time).
- 【Extension Table】With extension table, makes sewing machine easy to sew the sleeves, pants or other sewing items, more details are designed for convenient sewing. Suit for sewing beginner.
- 【Two Speeds with Needle Protector】Build-in LED Light offer better vision on working area. And you could also easily adjust speeds with the H/L (High/low speed) buttons on sewing machine. With a special safety cover on sewing area around needle, it could prevent any safety risks to you. MORE SAFETY.
- 【Easy to Use】The simple on/off control button or foot pedal which saves your time. Straight line sewing, easy to operate. Please read the instructions before using if you are a sewing novice, the wrong operation may cause stuck thread, break thread, seam not online or even don't work.
- 【Ideal Gift】Portable sewing machine can improve children's imagination and hands-on ability. It perfect for craftspeople, emergency needs of sew or DIY enthusiasts using at home. If you encounter any problem when using, please contact us and we will reply within 24 hours.
DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine
Interchangeable presser feet, automatic needle threader, bobbin winder, and long lasting LED light are just some of the features of the high quality Donyer Power electric mini sewing machine.
12 stitch presets with dial selection (stitches per minute) — plus a reverse sewing option — open up a wide range of possibilities with this little machine, and the choice of two sewing speeds means that you can sew as fast or as slow as you like.
The Donyer mini sewing machine can either be plugged into the mains or run on battery power, and there’s a handy storage compartment for stowing away your sewing accessories.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Useful storage compartment
- Can run on battery power
- Helpful automatic features
- Good range of stitches
- Simple to use
- Well constructed for the price
- Leaving the batteries in whilst the machine is plugged in may cause it to break – BE AWARE!
- 12 preset stitch patterns simplify the learning curve for beginners, allowing them to complete more complex projects
- Choose between 2 speeds (high or low) and hand switch or foot pedal i suitable for sewing beginner and complex projects.
- with a built-in needle threader, adjustable stitch length and width, free arm, and on-board accessory storage
- perfect for craftspeople,small projects or DIY enthusiasts using at home.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty. It is necessary to read the instructions before use sewing machine.
Royalsell Sewing Machine
Small enough to fit into a pocket or purse, the Royalsell mini handheld sewing machine is ideal for sewing emergencies, alterations, hemming, sewing small items, and repairs on the go.
The super lightweight battery powered design features a bobbin holder, presser foot, and tension controller, and comes supplied with spools of thread in a range of colors.
- Extremely small and portable
- Very low price
- Useful for emergency repairs
- Adjustable tension
- Limited use — only one stitch
- Power adapter not included
What is a Mini Sewing Machine?
A mini sewing machine is just that — a smaller version of a regular sewing machine.
These small but capable machines offer a range of simple stitching options with a slower stitching speed which makes them ideal for crafting.
They’re simple to use so make a great choice for children or beginners, or for more experienced sewers can be used as a second more portable sewing machine for traveling, as well as being ideal for quick repairs.
Powered either by batteries or via a regular power cable, a mini sewing machine is threaded in exactly the same way as you would thread a full sized machine with a bobbin and winder, a stitch selector, and a button or foot pedal which starts and stops the stitching.
Here’s a handy video guide on how to operate them:
Mini Sewing Machine vs Handheld Sewing Machine
Another popular pint sized sewing tool is the handheld sewing machine.
Much smaller than mini sewing machines, handheld sewing machines are petite enough to fit into your pocket, making them super portable.
However, they are less versatile than a mini sewing machine and tend to be more fragile with lower stitch quality, so while they may be handy for emergency repairs, they are no real match for a mini sewing machine.
Benefits of Small Sewing Machine vs Normal Sewing Machine
With an average price of around $30, buying a mini sewing machine won’t break the bank, making them an ideal choice for those on a budget, or those who only need a sewing machine for occasional use.
Equally, the appealingly low price of a mini sewing machine is a big advantage for beginners who don’t want to invest a large amount of money in a full size sewing machine.
Mini sewing machines are also easily affordable enough to be purchased as a second, more portable sewing machine alongside a regular one.
Easy to use
Mini sewing machines are a breeze to setup and use right out of the box, coming supplied with all of the required bobbin systems, needles and accessories to begin sewing straight away.
Because they don’t have a multitude of complicated features and limited customization, mini sewing machines are intuitive to use — even for kids and novice sewers.
Lightweight and small
Because of their small size, mini sewing machines make for a great first sewing machine for kids.
Being small and lightweight makes them super easy to transport to school or sewing classes, or to take on trips away, plus they take up minimal storage space in the home.
They are also perfect for lightweight sewing, scrapbooking, and other crafting projects.
What to Look for in the Best Small Sewing Machines
The best mini sewing machines are super lightweight and compact with many weighing less than 3 pounds.
A good machine will have a good basic range of stitch options, and give an even, quality stitch.
Features that you would find on large sewing machines such as an automatic needle threader, jam resistant bobbin, automatic thread tension, and stop/start button are a huge bonus when it comes to ease of use.
Which do you think is the best mini sewing machine?
For more round-ups of our favorite sewing machines, tools and accessories, be sure to check out our Best Sewing Gear portal.