Looking for the best sewing cabinet for your needs? We’ve got you covered.
We’ve all been there.
Hastily sweeping our sewing projects off the dining table and stuffing them into a bag, and shoving the sewing the sewing machine in the corner of the room so the family can sit down and eat or the kids can do their homework.
It’s a pain and it’s disruptive for everyone. So what’s the solution? For many sewers a sewing cabinet can be a game changer.
Here’s what you need to know before you buy…
- 1 What is a Sewing Cabinet?
- 2 Benefits of a Sewing Cabinet
- 3 Features of the Best Sewing Cabinets
- 4 Sewing Cabinet Cost Guide
- 5 The Best Sewing Cabinets
What is a Sewing Cabinet?
Created specifically with sewing in mind, a sewing cabinet is a piece of furniture similar to a desk or table, with a stable, flat work surface, and drawers or other storage areas underneath, as well as a place for you to sit and work.
Many sewing tables also have a built in storage area specially designed for keeping a sewing machine.
Available in a wide range of style, sizes, and finishes, sewing cabinets can easily be found to fit with most spaces and homes.
Benefits of a Sewing Cabinet
Using a genuine sewing cabinet has numerous advantages over grabbing a space at the kitchen table.
Here are some of the main benefits of a sewing cabinet…
- Sewing cabinets give you your very own, dedicated sewing space which won’t be used for any other purpose. That means that you can leave your ongoing sewing projects undisturbed to return to them later on.
- Your sewing machine is an expensive piece of kit. A sewing table gives you a place where it can safely be stored and protected, plus have it ready in place whenever you need to use it.
- Unlike a regular table or desk, sewing cabinets are specially designed for sewing, with everything at the right height, and specific features such as expandable fold out tables to make your sewing experience easier.
- When you’re sewing at full speed and your work surface is wobbling around underneath you, the quality of your sewing can suffer. Sewing cabinets provide a stable and robust surface on which to sew.
- Always got a tangle of threads and a mishmash of fabric scraps in bags or clogging up your workspace? Sewing cabinets have plenty of drawers, shelves, and other storage to help you keep things organized.
Features of the Best Sewing Cabinets
As with most things, there are good sewing cabinets and there are bad.
So how do you tell the difference?
To help you we’ve put together a list of some of the most important features that the best sewing cabinets should have…
- Be strong and sturdy so as to not wobble around when sewing at high speeds
- Be durable. A sewing cabinet is an investment that should be made to last
- Have good storage – both for your sewing machine and all your sewing accessories
- Be the right size to fit your available space. Sadly we don’t all live in palaces, so the best sewing cabinet for you will be one that fits easily into your available space whilst providing all the other features you need
- Have a practical work surface. The best sewing cabinets feature scratch and/or heat resistant, waterproof table tops
- Lockable caster feet mean that you can move your sexing cabinet around with ease whenever you need to, and that it will stay put when you want it to
- Sewing cabinets with an extendable work surface give you that all important additional space for larger projects such as quilting, or pinning and cutting fabrics
- Easy to assemble. Many sewing cabinets require self assembly which can be frustrating and difficult at the best of times. The best sewing cabinets have quality components and are a breeze to put together, as well as not falling apart after a few weeks of use
- Good looks. Just because your sexing cabinet is a functional piece of equipment it doesn’t have to be ugly. Sewing cabinets come in a wide range of styles and finishes to suit your personal taste
- Electric lift. This may be a costly feature, but being able to raise and lower your sewing machine from where it is safely stowed away makes life a lot easier
Here’s a handy video guide on what you should be looking out for in the best sewing cabinet:
Sewing Cabinet Cost Guide
By this point you’re probably thinking ‘a sewing cabinet sounds amazing — I need one!’, but you’re also probably wondering if you can afford to invest in one without crippling your bank balance.
The truth is that yes, some sewing cabinets can be pretty expensive, but there are also plenty of affordable options too.
Prices range from decent quality budget cabinets at around $150, to high end, solid wood models with all the hi-tech features for $3000.
Certain brands of sewing cabinet also feature modular designs, so you can add to them over time when you have the funds available rather than spending a large amount in one hit.
All this is good news, as it means that you are sure to be able to find a sewing cabinet to suit your needs as well as your wallet, whatever your budget.
It’s also worth remembering that your sewing cabinet is an investment that should last you for many years of sewing to come.
The Best Sewing Cabinets
Not sure which sewing cabinet to choose?
Here are 4 of our favorites on the market right now…
The Sauder Sewing / Craft Center – Folding Table packs in a lot for its very reasonable price tag.
Measuring 28.5 inches in height, 40 inches in width and 19.5 inches in length, this sewing cabinet provides a large workspace with an additional folding drop leave table for an even bigger 62.5 inch wide work area.
It’s made from scratch, stain and heat resistant melamine, and boasts oodles of storage including a hidden shelf for your sewing machine, cupboard with adjustable shelves, and 2 generous storage bins.
It also comes with lockable, easy roll casters which make it easy to move around.
- Attractive design with wood finish
- Easy self assembly
- Fold out drop leaf table for extra work space
- Lots of storage
- Can fit in smaller spaces
- Hard wearing, scratch, stain and heat resistant surface
- Can be moved around easily thanks to lockable caster wheels
- Sturdy and wobble free
- Affordable price
- Requires assembly
- Height is not adjustable
With its cute vintage style, the Arrow Sewing Cabinet 901 Auntie Em will look pretty in any sewing room, as well as being a practical addition.
Despite its antique style exterior, this is a totally modern sewing cabinet featuring a convenient airlift to effortlessly move your sewing machine into 3 different positions from its storage nook inside the cabinet to allow for free arm sewing or to sit flush with the work surface.
There are also 4 handy storage drawers for all your bits and bobs.
Folded away, the Arrow Auntie measures 32.5 inches wide by 19.75 inches deep and 31 inches tall. When unfolded, the two drop leaves provide an impressive 63.75 inch wide total workspace.
- Easy to fold up or down
- Effort saving locking airlift feature
- Large workspace
- Very pretty, vintage design
- Fits well into smaller spaces
- On casters so can easily be moved around
- Roomy drawers for storage
- Assembly can be a little tricky
- May not fit all models of sewing machine — check before you buy!
If you’ve only got a tiny space available for your sewing cabinet, the Studio Designs Sew Ready Hobby and Craft Table could be the ideal choice for you.
The metal and melamine table folds away to a petite 12.25 inches wide by 36 inches deep, making it small enough to slot between other items of furniture or into a corner.
However, when the 2 drop leaves are unfolded, this sewing table provides a generous work surface 60 inches wide — plenty big enough for most sewing and craft projects.
The design also features a bottom shelf for storing your sewing machine, and a sliding wire mesh basket to hold your sewing accessories.
- Height can be easily adjusted
- Moves around easily on lockable casters
- Folds away to a very small size
- Robust metal frame construction
- Versatile for multiple different uses
- Spacious work area
- Easy to put together
- Storage space is limited
Boasting both good looks and practicality, the Arrow Sewnatra sewing cabinet is compact yet full of useful features.
Made from laminated fiber board, this is a robust, long lasting piece of kit.
Owners of the Arrow Sewnatra can benefit from its push button operated air lift system which takes the hard work out of raising and lowering the sewing machine from its storage space, as well as the integrated spool holders for multiple different threads, and 2 trays for added storage.
When folded away, this sewing cabinet measures a mere 23.75 inches wide by 20 inches deep and 31 inches tall, but with the drop leaf extended the work surface expands to an ample 46 inches wide.
- Small footprint when folded down
- Convenient air lift system adjusts to any sewing machine base height
- Easy to move around on casters
- Sturdy, attractive design
- Good quality components
- Assembly instructions can be difficult to understand
- Doesn’t fit all sewing machine models — check before you buy!
- Not much storage space as we’d want for the price
Which do you think is the best sewing cabinet?
Last Updated on
Please note, this site is part of the Amazon Associates Program as well as several other affiliate programs. Our posts contain affiliate links where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay, but it does help us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support!